Why This Need for Approval?

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."
Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

So I am going to tell on myself here. It is after midnight. I was just about to lie down to drift off into la-la land when I suddenly realized that my dishes downstairs were not done and the kitchen looked like it had all day - a total wreck! I would have had no trouble sleeping until I realized...HE IS COMING!! You would never know by my willingness to deprive myself of much-needed sleep that I actually don't know who he is. All I know is that in a moment of insanity I scheduled our A/C unit to be checked by this stranger at 7:30 a.m. later this morning! And I would be absolutely mortified if he judged me by my dirty dishes and unswept floor.

True, he will leave and I will probably never see him again or at least not soon enough to remember what he looks like should he pass me on the street. But the thought that a stranger might think I am a slob is motivation enough to get me to clean up.

And the question I have is why, at times, do I care more about how a stranger might think of me than how Jesus does? Jesus, help me to seek you first and reduce my need to receive the approval of others.