Is He Safe?

One of my favorite childhood books was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis. It is a book that transcends age in its layers of depth. I loved the book with a child's understanding. I am enriched as an adult reading them to my own children.

After nearly a year of unemployment (that has thankfully ended), I thought I knew who God was. I thought my formula of obedience plus service = blessing was air tight. I have been shown how profound my misconceptions of God and blessing have been through the journey my husband and I have been on.

“Aslan is a lion- the Lion, the great Lion." "Ooh" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion"..."Safe?" said Mr Beaver ..."Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.”
C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
 
I thought of this passage in the book today. It reveals how I have misjudged my God when life blindsided us with trial and shook our world.
 
He is not safe, but He is good.